Sunday, December 25, 2011

Tile Coasters

This is my first tutorial that I'm posting and I'm really excited! I found a similar tutorial this past summer and have been dying to try it but didn't get the chance until now, over winter break. My apartment in Davis is (obviously) red, yellow, and blue themed and one of my roommates is a design major who's really into art. I thought the matching colors and the artsy feel of the paint chips would gel well. Plus, our apartment is kind of modern, so it all works.

 

Materials Needed:
1. 4x4 tiles (purchased at Lowe's for about $.16 each)
2. Paint chips (however many you need and in your desired colors)
3. Rubbing alcohol and cotton balls (optional)
4. Mod Podge
5.Paint brushes
6. Felt covers (for the bottom)
7. Ruler and something to cut with (I left my Exacto knife in Davis so I had to use a box cutter).

 Step 1:

Lay down a couple sheets of newspaper (or not, if you're brave- I wasn't) and arrange your tiles with enough space between them to do your thing. Then proceed to clean the tiles with the cotton balls and rubbing alcohol. This isn't required, but I did it just to work with a clean surface. Who knows what goes down at Lowe's.

Step 2:

Measure and cut your paint chips to size. I wanted to leave a 1/8th of an inch border around my chips so I measured accordingly. I also wanted the names of the colors to show, so I made sure to cut on the other side of the paint chip. Also, the top color (which is usually the lightest) was more pink than red, so I tried to eliminate that as much as possible.



Step 3:
Add a thin layer of this glorious solution ($6 at Wal Mart, maybe cheaper at Michael's with a coupon) to your tile and affix your measured paint chip to it. Work fast because it can be a bit hard to move the chips around with the mod podge once it starts to dry. 




 Then add a layer of Mod Podge to the top of your chip. Allow it to dry then add several more layers while allowing the Mod Podge to dry between each application. The Mod Podge will act as a sealant to keep out the condensation of any drinks you may put on it.


Repeat the process for the rest of your tiles, however many there may be. 




Step 4:
Attach felt pads to the bottom of the tile to prevent scratches on whatever surface you put it on. I haven't attached mine yet, thus no pictures, but you can get them at Target I'm sure. They're the ones you would put on the bottom of chairs. I don't imagine they'll cost too much.
Step 5: 
Take a few photos and enjoy!





A Few Comments:
If you look closely you can see lines left by the Mod Podge on the surface of the tiles. That may just be a result of the Mod Podge or the application process (I used foam brushes). If the lines really bother you, you can try altering the application device, but I actually like them. They give the whole thing a DIY/personalized look. Let me know how yours turn out! Also, you can use pretty much whatever you want on the top, e.g. seasonal scrapbook paper, classy wrapping paper, decals, etc. Just have fun with them! Once you purchase the mod podge (which was the most expensive part of this project) then you can make all kinds of different ones for cheap and switch them out year round or give as really neat gifts.

No comments:

Post a Comment